Frequently Asked Questions
Please click on each question below to open or close the answer.
- What is a "special"?
- A "special" is an unlicensed medicinal product which is supplied to fill "special requirements" and in response to a bona fide unsolicited order, formulated in accordance with the specification of a doctor, dentist or supplementary prescriber and for use by his or her individual patients on his/her direct responsibility. Examples of special requirements include, but are not limited to, an intolerance or allergy to a particular ingredient, or an inability to ingest a solid oral dosage form.
- Special medicinal products are exempt from the requirement of a marketing authorisation before being placed on the market and as such may not have been assessed by the Licensing Authority against the criteria of safety, quality and efficacy.
- Who takes responsibility for prescribing a "special"?
The prescriber, doctor, dentist or supplementary prescriber who places the bona fide, unsolicited order.
- Who takes responsibility for the quality of a "special"?
The manufacturer or assembler.
- Why prescribe our "specials"?
We minimise the risk as follows:
- All our products contain active ingredients which have been used for many years
- With our experience we are able to guide prescribers to literature evidence to help them decide on the most appropriate dose
- All products have stability data and a long shelf-life
- Where applicable they are palatable to children
- All are manufactured in compliance with the European Commission's "Notes for guidance on minimizing the risk of transmitting animal spongiform encephalopathy agents via medicinal products" and any subsequent updates
- All are manufactured by contractors with a manufacturing licence to manufacture "specials" to GMP standards (Manufacturer's "specials" Licence)
- All have a Certificate of Analysis signed by a MHRA-approved Qualified Person
- Who can purchase our "specials"?
Our "specials" are only sold to:
- Community Pharmacies
- Pharmaceutical Wholesale Distributors
- Medical, Dental and Veterinary Practices
- Overseas versions of the above
- How can I find out more about the prescribing of "specials"?
- MHRA Review of Unlicensed Medicines
- BNF for Children
- What types of product can you supply?
Our products comprise of tablets, capsules, injections, oral liquids and creams.
Our products can only be prescribed by a doctor, dentist or supplementary prescriber under a bona fide, unsolicited order. For UK patients, the doctor, dentist or supplementary prescriber must be registered in the UK.
- How can I obtain your "special" medicines?
Our products can only be supplied by your doctor, dentist, nurse or consultant on a prescription-only basis, so you should discuss your ailment with a healthcare professional who can assess the technical data on our website after registration.
- How do I open an account?
Opening an account for healthcare professionals is simply a matter of registering online or giving our Sales team a call on +44 (0)1932 690325. We are able to supply registered pharmacists, doctors, dentists and licensed Wholesale Dealers under a bona fide, unsolicited order in accordance with their professional area of responsibility.